top of page
  • Bright Line Tax

Your Tax Preparation Checklist

Wondering what forms and information you need to file your taxes?

Use the tax checklist below to find the documents and forms you'll need to get started. Some of these forms may not apply to your situation.

Personal Information

Tax Identification Numbers are mandatory items on your tax prep checklist. All taxpayers will need the following information:

  • Your social security number or tax ID number

  • Your spouse's full name and social security number or tax ID number

Dependent(s) Information

Parents and caregivers should gather this information as they review what they need to file their taxes:

  • Dates of birth and social security numbers or tax ID numbers

  • Childcare records (including the provider's tax ID number) if applicable

  • Income of other adults in your home

  • Form 8332 showing that the child’s custodial parent is releasing their right to claim a child to you, the noncustodial parent (if applicable)

Sources of Income

  • If you are employed: Forms W-2

  • If you are unemployed: Unemployment, state tax refund (1099-G)

  • If you are self-employed:

Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation;

Forms 1099, Schedules K-1, income records to verify amounts not reported on 1099s;

Records of all expenses — check registers or credit card statements, and receipts;

Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES);

Office in home information, if applicable.

  • If you have rental property:

Records of income and expenses

Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation

Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)

  • If you are retired:

Pension/IRA/annuity income (1099-R)

Traditional IRA basis (i.e., amounts you contributed to the IRA that were already taxed)

Social security/RRB income (1099-SSA, RRB-1099)

  • If you have savings & investments or dividends

Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV)

Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S)

Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis in property you sold (if basis is not reported on 1099-B)

Health Savings Account and long-term care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC)

Expenses related to your investments

Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)

Transactions involving cryptocurrency (Virtual currency)

  • If you have other income or losses:

Gambling income (W-2G or records showing income, as well as expense records)

Jury duty records

Hobby income and expenses

Prizes and awards


Royalty Income 1099–Misc.

Any other 1099s received

Record of alimony paid/received with ex-spouse’s name and SSN

Depending on your life situation, there are various deductions you may take We will let you know what forms we need, once we know your situation better.



















Top posts

11 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page